In the Shadow of the Sea

The Top of the Tower, Quellin and Guild Problems

As the party took a breath after defeating the foul dragon, the beast’s corpse began to shudder and emit strange muffled sounds. Terrified, the great adventurers swallowed their fear and drew their swords. Much to their surprise, a small and nasty looking Dwarf warrior slashed through the dragon’s hide, erupting from its belly. This dwarf was named Tonask, and offered to help the party in their journey to find the wizard. His reasons for being there were left rather vague.

Continuing upwards, this new ally in toe, the part fought through legions of undead, and outsmarted numerous traps, puzzles and illusions. Eventually they found a portal that led to Perseclea’s quarters at the top of the tower. They jumped through, falling from the ceiling of the wizard’s room, and landing surrounded by pale men dressed in dark clothing and robes. It took only seconds before the nature of the men was revealed: they were vampires.

Battle raged. The party fought gloriously against the undead fiends as the master of the tower, Perseclea lay chained in the corner unable to offer any assistance. The ever resourceful adventurer’s broke down the dark curtains that had been put up to cover the window’s of the room, flooding the chamber with sunlight. From there it took little effort to vanquish the dark creatures and free the wizard.

Perseclea told the party of Quellin’s history as the heir to a once proud, but corrupt, noble family, and his having stolen an important book of necromantic rituals from her possession before leaving for the cemetery island of the Necropolis. The party offered to go and stop Quellin from whatever he was planning to do, but the wizard cautioned against it, telling them it was better for the guard to handle it.

Upon leaving the wizard’s tower, the party ignored her suggestion and made their way to the Sailor’s District, where they borrowed a small rowboat from a sailor they knew named Patrick. With this boat, the party rowed off to the nearby island. Talking their way in with one of the guards, the party heard the distant sound of battle, and as they raced towards the sounds, they saw a group of guards locked in combat with Quellin, several gnolls, and a mysterious undead creature.

They ran into the fray just as the last guard died, and tore through the gnoll opposition. Vaelian threw himself at Quellin, and within mere moments his target was slain. From their the battle focused on the undead creature of immense power. Among the graves of the dead, and under the moonlight, the mighty Gallor was slain by the beast. The great warrior’s death seemed to give the remaining party members increased vigor, and soon the undead abomination was defeated.

As a strange blanket of calm fell over the party, Vaelian went through Quellin’s possession, and found the man’s journal. It spoke of vengeance for his fallen family, and the desire to raise his great ancestor, Ilgram Theros, back from the dead to lead the family once again to prosperity. It was concluded that this man must have been the undead creature the party fought.

The adventurer’s returned to the main island, and law Gallor’s body in the rowboat before kicking it off. The sun rose over the boat and the slain warrior’s remains as it gently floated towards the horizon. There had been a note found on his person telling to give his possessions to a man named Finwick if Gallor were ever to meet an untimely death. The party did as the note requested, and found the Finwick, who turned out to be a small halfling, passed out in a room in the Green Griffon Tavern.

Finwick claimed to have been drugged, but before they could investigate, the party was approached by another halfling who introduced himself as Two-Fist MacGregor. He gave the party paper’s claiming that they had been adventuring illegally, and their deeds had stepped on the territory and profits of the Guild for Mercenaries, Explorers, Pioneers and Heroes. Two-Fist told them that they were requested to come to a hearing later in the day at the guild headquarters. They were told they could join the guild and give over a portion of their profits, or they would face time in the dungeon. The party, angry at this turn of events, wondered about their options.


rosingbull rosingbull

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.